Vintage Cups, Glasses and Mugs
In our blogs, we’ve been featuring a different promotional or corporate restaurantware product made over the years. This is another in the group of cool retro cups, glasses or mugs from our large collection. Here we’ll be sharing what we’ve learned about it and we welcome your additional input and comments.
This cup and saucer are from a restaurant chain called the Chicken in the Rough. They once had restaurants all over the US, including several located on historic Route 66. The chain was founded in 1936 by Beverly and Rubye Osborne, two Oklahoma restaurant owners who had lost all their savings as a result of the Great Depression. The story claims that Beverly Osborne had a ‘lightbulb moment’ when out driving with his wife. Rubye was trying to eat chicken while Beverly drove. The chicken slipped out of Rubye’s hands and she reportedly exclaimed. “This is really eating chicken in the rough”. Traditionally chicken had been eaten with a knife and fork up to that point. Beverly realized fried chicken could serve as inexpensive finger food at a time when people had little to spend. He and his wife began what was the very first chicken franchise. Up to that point, the only model for franchising had been gas stations. Their motto became the “meal that created food service and fried chicken franchising”. Their advertising proclaimed, “Every Bite a Tender Delight”.
Today the recipe and cooking method for Chicken in the Rough is franchised only to existing restaurants. There are currently only three restaurants that offer it: two in Michigan and one in Ontario, Canada. Their corporate office is in Tinley Park, Illinois.
This cup, made by Syracuse China, had the Chicken in the Rough logo on the front. The chicken is shown dressed and outfitted for a game of golf and he is glancing at his golf ball, which has landed “in the rough”. This cup and saucer are Syracuse China Adobe Ware, which was manufactured from 1932 to 1972. Syracuse China is located in Lyncourt, New York and was founded in 1871. Originally they were called the Onondaga Pottery Company. The factory closed in 2009, after having been in business for 138 years. Production of Syracuse China was moved overseas.