The first police call boxes were created in 1883 for the city of Washington, D.C. They made it possible for both the public and the police to contact the local police station in the event of an emergency. The idea quickly caught on across the U.S. and call boxes were installed in other large cities. Police walkie-talkies eventually made call boxes unnecessary in most cities by the late 1960s.
This aluminum call box was manufactured by The Gamewell Company of New York in the mid-1900s. The original Detroit police call boxes were painted a solid blue. This one has been redone with a striking black, white and gold color combination, as well as the modern-day slogan, “No Drugs” painted on the side. Inside is a wall-style telephone. Northern Electric made this particular model called the Uniphone sometime in the 1940’s or 50’s.
Dimensions: 16”H x 11”W x 5”D
This item is not for sale. We show restored items in this blog to encourage discussion, prompt questions and further the hobby of collecting and restoration. We also enjoy sharing the photos of the many items we have restored over the years.