This is an Esso visible gas pump, called the G&B model 177, made in 1925. The manufacturer was Gilbert & Barker Manufacturing Company. The first gas pumps were �����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������visible” gas pumps that drew the gasoline out of the ground and into a 5 to 10 gallon glass cylinder before it was released into the car. The glass allowed the customer to see how much gas was pumped and whether or not it was clean, which was too often not the case. The gas was pumped from the ground using a lever on the pump (not visible in this photo), by pulling it back and forth. When the gas was released, gravity allowed it to flow out of the tall cylinder and in into the car’s gas tank.
The Gilbert & Barker Manufacturing Company was located in Springfield, Massachusetts. They began manufacturing gas pumps around 1902. The company name was changed to Gilbarco in 1965. In 1966 they relocated to Greensboro, North Carolina where they operate today as Gilbarco Veeder-Root, a subsidiary of the Danaher Corporation. They remain one of the leading gas pump manufacturers in the world today.
This item is not for sale. We show restored items in this blog to encourage discussion, prompt questions and further the hobby of collecting and restoration. We also enjoy sharing the photos of the many items we have restored over the years.