Late 1930s National A-1 Pump Restoration
This is a gas pump we restored with the Sun Ray Gasoline logo and colors. This is a National A-1 gas pump manufactured by the National Oil Pump and Tank Company of Dayton, Ohio. The company was founded in 1907 and by 1930 the name had changed to the National Pumps Corporation. Tokheim bought National in 1948, and although they did use the National name on some of their pumps, the name was very soon eliminated.
The A-1 is a computer dial pump with an inside sight gauge. This style pump was manufactured from 1936 to 1940. It has an art deco design and an illuminated top unlike any other gas pump. The restoration process would have involved sandblasting, sanding, repairing of any damage and repainting. Finally, the pump was clear-coated and the decals added. This restored pump is an example of how colorful the original pumps could have been.